When we feel stressed, the actual chemicals and feelings of stress physically deposit in parts of our body. So, in order to relieve feelings of stress, we must relax the body parts that physically store it. Sometimes we hold onto it in our head, throat, chest/heart, stomach, or shoulders. If it feels like there’s a heavy weight or pain in any of those areas, that’s where your stress is likely located.
To get rid of it and to lift the weight it imposes on your body and mind, the best thing to do is some self-care. Here’s a list of 12 ideas to get you started:
- Prepare yourself some comfort food, or have some delivered to you.
- Have a chiropractic treatment or massage to put your body back in balance.
- Hug somebody.
- Volunteer or give a donation for a boost of happiness.
- Create a Pinterest board of your goals and dreams.
- Do a random act of kindness.
- Call and talk to a friend on the phone or in person.
- Take a nap – escape the strain and renew your soul.
- Get rid of clutter in the home by gathering things that don’t yet have a place, and make room for it at home or designate donations to make someone else’s home a little happier.
- Take a mental health vacation day by not going in to work.
- Put on your favorite outfit, or dress up.
- Warm your favorite lotion and apply for comfort.
There are so many different things you can do to help yourself to feel better – what’s your favorite quick stress fix when you’re feeling strained?