Positive Emotions and Your Health
Developing a Brighter Outlook
Do you tend to look on the sunny side, or do you see a future filled with dark, stormy skies? A growing body of research suggests that having a positive outlook can benefit your physical health. NIH-funded scientists are working to better understand the links between your attitude and your body. They’re finding some evidence that emotional wellness can be improved by developing the following skills:
- Remember your good deeds. Give yourself credit for the good things you’ve done.
- Forgive yourself. Look at mistakes as learning experiences and move on.
- Spend more time with the “right” friends. Surround yourself with positive, healthy people.
- Explore your beliefs about the meaning and purpose of life. Think about how to guide your life by the principles that are important to you.
- Develop healthy physical habits. Healthy eating, physical activity, and regular sleep can improve your physical and mental health.