(HappierDaily.com) – There are ways to cheer up and get back to being yourself in just a few minutes. The next time you’re feeling overwhelmed or unhappy, try these tips.
- Go for a walk. Exercise makes your body produce more endorphins, which work to make you feel happier. Furthermore, just getting away from the stress of a particular situation or area can go a long way towards helping you to put everything in perspective. Even a quick hike to the mailbox or the parking lot can help youth calm down and give you the energy to tackle a problem.
- Close your eyes and take two deep breaths. Think of this as a five minute meditation. Forcing yourself to physically relax can help your brain to destress and analyze problems better. Use this time to clear your mind, then focus on defining the problem and identifying probable solutions for it.
- Call a friend. If you have someone in your life who can always cheer you up, give them a call or send a text. Research has shown that reaching out to a network of friends and family members can help fight the symptoms of depression. Make sure to keep your phone call short, however. Launching into a hour-long slam session won’t do much to help your overall mood, and it can wear out the patience of your friends. Instead, focus on just a few minutes of explaining the problem and then move on.
- Visualize your goals. Are you feeling run-down from fighting with your kids over homework or stressed about a big project at work? Take a few seconds to imagine the outcome of all your hard work. For example, picture yourself attending your child’s graduation or getting a promotion at work. Thinking about the positive outcome you want to achieve will help you to stay motivated and improve your mood as you face more challenges down the road.
- Focus on what’s going right. Either write down or say aloud three things that are going right in your life right now. Think of things that you’re grateful for, such as your health, your family, or the roof over your head. Focusing on the things that are positive in your life can make it a lot easier to face the problems and challenges that you’re dealing with at the present moment.
Copyright 2020, HappierDaily.com