(HappierDaily.com) – Hungry for change? Same here. Truth is, we (yes, you and me) are the ones who are going to be able to make the most difference for the future. Don’t think you can make a difference? How about a small one? Certainly you are enough to do that. Here are some sweet, easy ideas how you can make someone’s day better. Afterall, that’s what “making a difference” really means…
If you want to change the world, go home and love your family.
– Mother Teresa
Random Acts of Kindness That Will Make You (And Someone Else) Smile
- Smile at people you walk by (or say hello if you’re behind a mask). Acknowledging people’s presence makes them feel good, plus warm people give others hope.
- If you notice someone close to you having a bad day, lend an ear to let them vent.
- Offering assistance. Whether it’s helping your SO in the kitchen, or putting the home’s laundry away, lightening anyone’s load is often very much appreciated.
- Give someone a unique compliment. Notice someone’s eyes? Let them know. With such little interaction these days, small gestures can go a long way. Not hanging around people at the moment? Comment something sweet on the next Facebook post or YouTube video you see!
- Write and mail a thank you card or a letter of appreciation to someone you care about. If you can’t see them in person, a handwritten letter would be extremely heart warming and special.
- Reach out to a family member you haven’t spoken to in a long time. If you miss them, they probably miss you too. Don’t wait.
- When you are having a conversation with someone, make an effort to really pay attention to them. Listen. Don’t worry about what you are going to say while they are still talking. They will feel the difference not having distractions.
- Post a sticky note or leave a kindness rock somewhere random with a positive message. You could write something like “You are enough.” and stick it in a family member’s room. Or something like “Sure are rockin’ them sweat pants today ;)” to your SO. Come on, would you ever forget that if you walked into a bathroom and saw that?
- Unload the dishwasher before someone else gets to it.
- Interview your elders or write a family history for the younger ones. My grandpa gave my family our family history and I cherish knowing where we came from and having an inside scoop on what life was like back then. I will surely write the history for my own children someday too.
- Volunteer a portion of your time. VolunteerMatch.org is a great way to find out what sort of volunteering you’d like doing. You can opt for in person and even virtual volunteer work.
For a few bucks:
- Randomly cook or buy a meal for a good friend. If they’re going through a rough time or you just want to show ‘em you love ‘em, everyone loves a good home-cooked meal or a surprise dish from their favorite restaurant. Call them up and tell them you’re bringing them dinner this week, no excuses, and pick a good day for the both of you.
- Make a donation to the charity of your dreams.
- Go through your closet or library and donate clothes, books, or other belongings that you don’t use anymore.
- Leave a generous tip. Want to really make someone’s day? Try tipping the bill: leave a tip equal to the amount of your bill.
- Express your gratitude for delivery drivers by creating a thank you package for them to leave outside your door.
- Buy a gift card from your favorite business and give it away.
- Cater lunch for your office (or nearby healthcare workers) from a locally owned restaurant.
- Put change in someone’s expired parking meter.
- Organize your dirty dishes after you’re done eating at a restaurant.
No one’s going to solve climate change, cure cancer, or eliminate depression overnight, so the key is showing the people around us that we care. Family, strangers, people you come in contact with physically or virtually. Kindness is contagious and the more you give it, the more it spreads. Now let’s spread this kindness like corona. 😉
The little stuff adds up beyond what any of us can imagine.
Copyright 2020, HappierDaily.com